Welcome Back to School 2017-18
“Believe you can and you're half way there.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Dear Parents and Students,
Instruction for opening a lock:
1) Spin dial to the right a few times
2) Turn to right to 1st number
3) Turn to left pass 1st number, & then stop on 2nd number
4) Turn to right & go directly to 3rd number
We will decorate our Math & Science Binders in class and set up binders this week. You will decorate whatever way you want to personalize your binder. You can bring some photos of you and your family to make a collage, you can bring some magazines and stickers to cut out pictures and words for your collage, or make a unique drawing in colors. Be creative and have fun.
Be Prepared & Be Responsible
Being prepared for class is part of being a proactive learner. Students are expected to be in their assigned seat on time and ready to learn with their learning tools. Below is the 5th Grade Supply list for this year.
Two Pencil pouches - one to keep in LA/SS classroom and one to keep in Math/Science classroom.
Colored pencils or colored markers-12 PK
Enclosed Pencil Sharpener
These supplies will be utilized in Homeroom:
2-3 packs of lined loose leaf paper
1 3-hole homework folder with pockets
1 dry erase eraser
1 bottle of Hand Sanitizer
2 Paper Towels
2 boxes of tissues
1 container of disinfectant wipes
Language Arts/Social Studies
1 Colored 1 inch binder
2 packs of 5-Tab Dividers
1 box Ziploc Bags (Gallon size)
1 1 ½ inch binder
2 packs of 5-Tab Dividers
1 box Ziploc Bags (Gallon or Quart size)
Note: These supplies are encouraged for your 5th grade students to be successful.
Please Be On Time to Class
There is approximately 15 minutes for homeroom. It is essential for your child to be on time, and in our classroom by 8:10 a.m. Within these 15 minutes, we will do our leadership roles, such as attendance, lunch count, planner signature checking, ID/uniform checking, and morning announcements to start our wonderful day. We will learn about Leader in Me uses Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Please make sure you have a reading book, student's planner, and student ID EVERYDAY upon your arrival to homeroom.
Parent-teacher communication throughout the school year is the key to student success. Research has shown that students do better in school when their parent or guardian is involved. Here is what you can do to help your child be successful throughout this school year.
1) Check and sign your child's planner daily. Ask your child what they learned in math and science classes. Students' planners are required to be signed daily by guardians, or parents. Students are required to have their planner in every class to record homework assignments, or project due dates. Students will earn one point for having their planner in class and one point for having their planner signed. Planner will be checked during homeroom and points will be recorded in homeroom grade.
2) Check Aspire Grade book online weekly, and as regularly as possible with your child, to teach them to be responsible, and to take ownership of their learning. Late work will receive half credit. Students will have one week from the date of assignment to turn in late work. After which, Zero points will be assigned. Students have their planners signed by their teachers everyday as well as by their parents. They should have no problem getting their work in on time.
The ASPIRE website is: http://ogdenprep.usoe-dcs.org/Login/
Login Information:Username: Student ID
Password: Eagles+School ID (Example: Eagles43653449)
3) Check and read Ms. Chiang's blog at https://mschiangmathandscience.blogspot.com weekly about upcoming school events, classroom activities, or parent volunteers and donations.
Monday, Aug. 21: No school. SOLAR ECLIPSE
Tuesday, Aug. 22: First Day of School.
Thursday, Aug.24: Back to School Night, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 25: Math & Science Disclose Statement due
Thank you so much for your support of your child's education. Let's have a great year!
5th Grade Math & Science Teacher